Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the Web.
From Search Engine Land:
- New Local Ad View (And AdWords Click Type) Comes To Google Maps App
Google is following up on the recent roll-out of its updated Google Maps app for Android and iOS devices with a new local ad view and click type. The ads appear at the bottom of the screen. In addition to the standard title and ad text, the ads include the car icon link to get [...]
- Google Launches Manual Spam Actions Viewer, Streamlines Reconsideration Process
Google is adding a new feature in Webmaster Tools that will leave no doubt when a site’s search rankings are affected by a manual webspam action. It’s called the Manual Actions viewer, and it’s available today under the “Search Traffic” tab. The new tool complements the email notifications that Google already sends when it takes [...]
- Google AdWords Testing New Drop-Down Navigation Ad Extension
Have you seen this new ad extension keenly spotted by Kim Clinkunbroomer of Philly Marketing Labs? As Clinkunbroomer pointed out, the “I am Looking For” ad extension gives users a drop-down navigation menu with links — in this case 10 — to specific sections of an advertiser’s web site. In Clinkunbroomer’s screenshot below, you can see [...]
- Proven Paid, Earned and Owned Social Media Tactics – Nov. 20-21 in Las Vegas
Attend Search Engine Land’s SMX Social Media Marketing for two days of tactic-packed sessions on paid, earned, and owned social media. View the topic sneak peak agenda here, All Access, Workshop, and Boot Camp passes currently available at our lowest rates. Register now to save!
- Bing: We Added A Border To Our Ads To Make Them More Visible
In response to our post yesterday about the often-invisible background shading on ads in the search engine results, Derrick Connel, Corporate Vice President of Bing Program Management at Microsoft, followed up with Danny Sullivan on Facebook to say: As a small comment on Bing — the ads have 2 design elements for mainline ads. We [...]
- Google Adds Conversion Value Metrics To AdWords Graph
Jon Diorio, Senior Product Manager for Google AdWords posted on his Google+ page news of “a small reporting tidbit”. Conversion value metrics are now among the those available in the AdWords graph. The newly added metrics are shown in Diorio’s screenshot below.
- Google AdWords Geo-Targeting: Have We All Been Doing It Wrong?
It’s rare that a true challenge to a best practice (and a seemingly straightforward one at that) arises. But, when Marta Turek, Group Manager, Performance Media at Mediative presented case studies showing what happened when they tested an opt-out versus the traditional opt-in approach to geo-targeting in AdWords at SMX Advanced this year, jaws dropped. [...]
- Google’s Cutts: Got Bad Links To Your Site? Don’t Fret It, Disavow It!
In a recent video answer from Google’s head of search spam, Matt Cutts, Matt said if you have bad links pointing to your site, don’t worry about it; all you need to do is disavow those links. Matt Cutts said, “just go ahead and disavow those links,” even if those linking to you do not [...]
- 5 Secrets To Maximizing Retail Budgets For Paid Search
Over the last decade, the incorporation of search into the online shopping experience has led to a savvier generation of consumers who prefer the selection, price-transparency, and convenience of online retail to traditional brick-and-mortars. As a result, online retailers are now spending more on paid search advertising than just about any other industry. In fact, [...]
- Is Google Authorship Affecting Rankings Today?
Many of us in SEO espouse the great benefits of Google Authorship and the potential of the rumored AuthorRank. Many in SEO would argue that AuthorRank has not yet been implemented as part of the Google algorithm. Or has it been added already? The Scenario A few weeks ago, one of my paid search clients [...]
- Bing Launches News, Sports, Weather Finance Apps For Windows Phone 8
After releasing a number of new updates for the Windows Phone 8 yesterday, Bing announced today it has launched News, Sports, Weather and Finance apps for the phone as well. Originally released for Windows 8 last October, the mobile versions offer a new collection of apps for Windows Phone 8 users. Bing News App Bing [...]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Is Facebook Starstruck? Evidence Shows Site May Be Following Twitter’s Lead With Celebrities
- Founders Of YouTube Take On Vine Instagram With New Video App
- 8 Reasons You Need A Nexus SEO Strategy For Mobile Beyond
- Study: Mobile Site Performance Drives Customer Satisfaction Over Premium Content
Search News From Around The Web:
- Security Announcement, Majestic SEO Blog
- Local Ad Agency Searchen Networks Announces New Search Tool, PR Web
- Signs of US Android net user decline, asymco
- The Online Marketer’s Checklist for a Link-Worthy Infographic, Search Engine People
- 101 Google Answer Boxes: A Journey into the Knowledge Graph, Moz
- Large Scale Experimentation at Bing, Bing Search Quality Insights Blog
- Browser Plugins And Addons Every SEO Needs!, internetmarketingninjas.com
- Embeddable Content Will Force SEO to Return to Its Roots, SEO Theory
- How to Use Google’s Structured Data Highlighter to Markup Your Site, Cypress North
- The “Ultimate” List of Google Manual SPAM Action Viewer Messages, Local SEO Guide
- The Best Darn Local SEO Client Questionnaire, LocalVisibilitySystem.com
- Write sexy SEO content (for any industry!), SEO Copywriting
SEM / Paid Search
- Big Bing Ads 2013 Recap, Search Engine Watch
- Google AdWords Nonprofit Account: 7 Tips for Every Manager, Luna Metrics
- Mastering PPC: Landing Conversions with Landing Pages, SEER Interactive
- Reach a global audience with video in 3 simple steps, Inside AdWords
- AdWords Site Policy Starter Guide, Google and Your Business
- Spain Search Marketing: The 7th Edition, State of Search